Bon Voyage, Mandriva!

Well, I received some horrid news today.

As of December 31st, my contract with Mandriva will be terminated and I will no longer be working for Mandriva. We’ve got a new CEO now, and he’s determined there is to be no remote contractors, and as a result I’ve been booted from the camp, so to speak. Over the last 8.5 years, I’ve seen CEOs come and go, restructures, other remote contractors get the boot, I’ve lived through the bankruptcy protection, been denied raises due to financial circumstances. Pre-bankruptcy protection I endured getting paid piecemeal as they could afford it… in short, I’ve literally put blood, sweat, and tears into my job for this company and have endured where others did not… I’ve stayed on when others left, and I’ve managed to avoid the axe when others got cut.

Well, that changed this morning. So I have one month of employment left during which time I also need to be finding a new job. The consulting I do on the side does not make me enough to cover my day-to-day expenses (mortgage, car payment, tuition for my daughter… food).

So I guess if anyone out there knows of a company that needs a security geek/consultant or a server administrator type, or even documentation, please let me know. I’ve got one month to fill this gap, and I’ve got 8.5 years of hands-on Linux development, security-related work (updates, testing, QA, research), and about a decade of systems administration under my belt. I refuse to turn this into a resume, but there’s the basics (resume is, of course, available upon request… as soon as I get it updated).

I’m a firm believer in “plans”, so I’m praying this is in God’s timing to help me find something better, but it’s difficult to be positive when you get this kind of news.

EDIT: Over the last 2 hours there has been a flurry of communication. Thank you *so* much to those folks who commented here and have sent me emails. It is very much appreciated. I am not, however, leaving. Apparently it was a mistake that my name was on the chopping block. So, for the time being at least, I am not going anywhere. The phone call from our new CEO ensures me that my contract is not being terminated.

But thank you guys so much for all the kind words. You have no idea how much that means to me.

22 comments for “Bon Voyage, Mandriva!

1. Jure Repinc
    November 27, 2008 at 11:12 am

Sorry to hear the bad news 🙁 Thanks for all the hard work you have put into Mandriva Linux and help make it such a nice distribution. I hope we will see you around helping as a volunteer , if time permits of course. Anyways thanks again and good luck with your next job.

2. Michael
    November 27, 2008 at 11:17 am

That’s quite sad news, you will be missed much. But given your skills, I think you will not have any trouble to find a new job.

Too bad, I will never be able to take my revenge on Mario Kart Wii

3. November 27, 2008 at 11:33 am

My first contact with Mandriva was in 2001 (MandrakeSoft at the time), and I remember you being there already, handling security issues, developing msec, etc.
    Sorry to hear the bad news, I sincerely hope you’ll find the job you want quickly.
    Farewell.

4. lenny
    November 27, 2008 at 11:33 am

Sad to read these kind of news Vincent. I hope, as you said, that this is a “plan” and your skills (I experienced for years working with you) will help you to find a new company.

5. November 27, 2008 at 11:52 am

Bad news indeed. I’m very sad to hear this.
    Good luck, and best wishes for your futures projects.

What are you going to do concerning the project for the Tests page on the wiki ( TestZilla II ) ?

6. November 27, 2008 at 12:48 pm

That really sucks! (My first Linux install was Mandrake.)
    If you are interested in any contract work training Linux sys-admins, then I have some contacts. I am in Toronto, but there is work in some of the other Canadian cities as well.
    PS God’s timing has always worked out *amazingly* for me!

7. November 27, 2008 at 12:48 pm

Thanks guys, for these comments. It’s so nice to read them.

I’m not leaving. The CEO phoned and said it was a mistake, so I’m not going anywhere right now. Quick answer to prayer I guess, eh? =)

Anyways, I feel bad for the others who are being forced to leave and I sincerely hope that things change in that regard as well. We’ll see what tomorrow brings.

8. November 27, 2008 at 3:45 pm

Woohoo!. At least one more is going to stay. Too bad for all the others that have to leave. Keeping my fingers crossed with best for all!

9. November 27, 2008 at 4:25 pm

I love Mandriva and I thank you enormously for all you’ve done!

10. Ramanath Krishnan
    November 27, 2008 at 9:29 pm

Hi, I am writing to this blog from my Mandriva, it works great ! Thanks to all you Guys who have made this possible. I feel bad for People who have been given Pink Slips and forced to Leave. I pray almighty that these dark and difficult times may soon be over. Let us live with Hope. May God Bless you all !!!

11. November 28, 2008 at 5:01 am

i’ve read this post only now,
    i’m happy to see that you can continue to work for mandriva, but i’m sad to hear that others have to leave. hope thinks will go better and all can be resolved..

Bye
    Marcello

12. Ze
    November 28, 2008 at 8:05 am

Welcome back then. \o/

13. Doc
    November 28, 2008 at 8:49 am

We have been a fan of Mandrake / Mandriva only since Mandrake 10.1 (3/2005). I as a Network / Systems Administrator and Consultant, can tell you this is a tough time to be looking for a job if you are here in the U.S.A. right now. I am sure in other counties life is good and if that is the case, should be easy for a guy like you to find a better job. It is always the Seniors who always get the AXE and it is a shame to dismiss all the experience. Good luck in your future endeavors.

14. November 28, 2008 at 11:13 am

It’s good for the Mandriva Linux distribution you get to stay. Other guys aren’t so fortunate.

15. November 28, 2008 at 11:21 am

Yeah, I know. And it really irritates me because they’re getting rid of two really awesome and helpful/quality guys that are at the forefront of the distro. Makes absolutely no sense to me. =(

16. JRM
    November 28, 2008 at 5:02 pm

I saw about Adam but who is the other ? Seb Trueg ?
    And glad you’re staying aboard, my systems feel safer with you around.

17. November 28, 2008 at 5:31 pm

The other one is Oden (php, mysql, apache maintainer).